- 3 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 large shallots, chopped (about ½ a cup)
- ½ teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 6 ounces cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and deribbed, cut into ½ inch dice
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and deribbed, cut into ½ inch dice
- 8 cups reduced-sodium chicken or veggie broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) peeled whole plum tomatoes crushed by hand in juice
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 zucchini, cut into ½ inch dice
- Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a heavy soup pot over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring occasionally until fragrant (about 1 minute). Add the shallots and red pepper flakes and continue to cook, stirring often, until the shallots are translucent (about 1 minute).
- Stir in the onion. Cook, stirring occasionally until softened (about 4 minutes). Stir in the rosemary and oregano and cook until fragrant (about 1 minute). Add the carrots, mushrooms and bell peppers. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the carrot are softened (about 6 minutes).
- Add the broth, tomatoes and their juices, beans, zucchini and potatoes. Bring to a gentle boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the potatoes are tender (about 35 minutes).
- Remove the soup from the heat. Stir in the arugula and the ½ cup of parmigiano. Let stand until the arugula wilts (about 1 minute). Season with salt and pepper to taste.
I hope you try this recipe for yourself.
Stay tuned for more healthy eating habits and recipes.